I can't believe it's already been five weeks since Violet was born. Like I said before, the first month was a total blur. It's survival mode and all about getting to know your new baby. And believe it or not, you don't need allll the things you registered for that first month. That doesn't mean you won't need that stuff in the future, but these are my newborn favorites:
1. Keekaroo Peanut Diaper Changer - This is one of my favorite items. We use it everyday, multiple times a day to change dirty diapers. It's made out of waterproof material so there's no need for additional pads or covers -- just wipe clean. We also use it as a waterproof surface when we give Vi sponge baths . We cover it with a clean towel and put it next to the sink to avoid any spills on the counter, and to give her a cushy surface to sit on while she is pampered.
2. aden + anais Classic Muslin Swaddle Blankets - Once I mastered the art of swaddling I started to really appreciate these blankets. They are huge and lightweight (which is important because you don't want your baby to overheat!) I always keep one in our diaper bag just in case Vi gets cold in the stroller or I need a cover for the carseat.
3. Dr. Brown Gia Nursing Pillow - I've been exclusively breast-feeding without pumps or bottles and I love this pillow. It provides the perfect angle for a comfortable feeding, and I also use it all the time to prop Vi up and play with her. Bonus: the cover is removable and machine washable.
4. Fisher-Price Newborn Rock n Play - We use this as a bassinet and it's where Violet naps and sleeps every night. I love that it folds up and it doesn't up a ton of space in our tiny place (there's also no crib sheets or mattress pads to deal with).
5. Solly Baby Wrap - I shared my love for this wrap last week, but I'll say it again -- it's the best for wearing your baby on walks outside or around the house. Bonus: when I put Violet in the wrap she usually falls asleep within ten minutes #secretweapon.
6. Gerber short-Sleeve Onesies - Even though we have a lot of clothes for Vi, she usually wears short-sleeve onesies because they are so easy to put on little chickadee does not like to be changed!) There's a large hole for head and two-snap buttons for super fast diaper changes.
7. Baby Mittens - I know some people aren't a fan of baby mittens because sometimes babies manage to pull them off, but I LOVE them. They kept Violet's face safe from her super sharp fingernails for the first few weeks (we were nervous about cutting them, but thankfully we're better about that now). Sometimes we still use the mittens at night to keep her hands warm. We also love onesies with the built-in hand covers.
8. Vaseline Petroleum Jelly - Vi got a diaper rash at two weeks old and we tried used rash ointment to treat the red skin, but it didn't help very much. My mother-in-law recommended that we use Vaseline. The stuff is magical and it cleared up Vi's rash in a day and she hasn't had any more irritated skin.
9. Carseat/Nursing Cover - My friend Caitlyn made me a carseat/nursing cover (modeled after this cover) and I use it all the time. It's a favorite when we go out on walks to cover the carseat + stroller caddy (she doesn't fit into her BOB stroller yet). The cover is an easy way to block out the sun and reduce the risk of over stimulating Violet (which happened the other day in the grocery store).
10. What To Expect The First Year - My OBGYN recommended this book and it is fantastic. It's full of really useful information and it's written in a style that is easy to digest.
And the first month misses - hopefully she'll change her mind in the next few months:
She won't take a pacifier (and trust me it's not for our lack of trying. I tried six different brands including mom favorites Avent Soothie, Dr. Brown PreVent Design Pacifier, and a duckie WubbaNub. nope. not a fan.) I was also pretty excited about the Boppy Newborn Lounger but she will sit in it for about five minutes before she starts crying. And it won't be long until she outgrows it. #whompwhomp
Mamas what are your 1-3 month favorites?